The primary duty of an Ocean Import Agent is to process ocean import transactions, including all related activities, for an assigned base of accounts. The Ocean Import agent is responsible for all required document preparation and traffic coordination.
- Receive, review, and process import documentation for an assigned base of accounts.
- Comply with all requirements listed under any given Letter of Credit.
- Prepare accurate and profitable quotations for review by department Supervisor or Manager.
- Recognize profit opportunities in the areas of insurance coverage, cargo for NVOCC bookings, and commissions from inland freight and other service subcontracting.
- Arrange inland freight services.
- Communicate with clients, co-workers, and supervisors in a clear, concise, and timely manner.
- Adhere to all domestic and international shipping regulations.
- Advise department Supervisor or Manager of any transaction problems or irregularities.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma (or equivalent education).
- 2 –3 years of previous experience as an Ocean Import Agent preferred.
- Experience in managing shipments from booking through billing.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Basic skills in Excel, Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English fluently.
- In addition to basic math, must be able to analyze numerical data and understand components and relationships, find patterns and draw conclusions.
- Two years of CargoWise experience a definite plus!
- Ability to make quick and clear decisions while adapting to changing circumstances.
- Ability to work independently, but within the boundaries prescribed by company policies and procedures.
- Ability to understand the full range of Freight Forwarding services, including order management, movement scheduling, customs brokerage, monitor and control services, cost optimization, and various industry specific requirements.
- Freight Forwarding